Monday, October 2, 2017

Six of Crows

by Leigh Barduo
published: Henry Holt and Company, 2015
pages: 462

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price -- and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...                                                                       
A convict with a thirst for revenge           A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager                                           A runaway with a privileged past            A spy known as the Wraith                     A Heartreader using her magic to survive the slums                                   A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes                                                                                                                                                                           Kaz's crew are the only ones who might stand between the world and destruction--if they don't kill each other first.    
 

This book. Oh, this book is one of the best books I've read in a long time. The writing is incredibly rich and immersive. It's beautiful, witty, and caught me off guard at the right moments. I savored it for as long as I could and then a switch flipped and I had to know what happened. I ended up reading the last 100 pages in one go. I am currently debating on whether or not I should wait to pick up the sequel right away. As it stands, I went to the bookstore the morning after I finished Six of Crows to buy Crooked Kingdom.

The characters thrive at the heart of this novel. Because the book is told from multiple perspectives I was nervous about being able to tell them apart. However, I had nothing to fear. Each character was very distinctive, well rounded and fully formed characters. Their backgrounds were woven into the story seamlessly and I cared for all of them, which can be hard to do when there are half a dozen main characters. They might all be criminals, the scum of the slums, but as Kaz puts it, they wreak of decency.

The pacing of the novel was unbelievable; there was not a single moment that I felt bored or like the story was moving too slowly. Every moment built on another, it was just the right amount of crazy action, character development, and world building. I love that we're never quite sure what's going to happen next: what's a part of the plan and what's improv. A book that keeps me guessing is a book that keeps me interested.

There is some discussion about whether or not you need to read the Grisha Trilogy before reading this book. I am here to say that it's not necessary! I have not read the Grisha Trilogy and I'm sure it gives more context for the story, but Leigh Bardugo does a great job of making this book a self-contained experience.

I cannot wait to read the sequel! Thank you Leigh Bardugo.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 
          5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment