Monday, July 31, 2017

Harry Potter Month Wrap Up

Faith of GeekyZooGirl and Micheline of Lunar Rainbow Reviews are hosting the Harry Potter Month in July and I'm on board! People can compete in the House Cup by accumulating house points. I'll be earning house points by posting about Harry Potter among other Harry Potter related activities! This year I will be representing Hufflepuff!


All month long I've been celebrating Harry Potter and today is his birthday! If I'm doing the math correctly, he is 36 this year. Happy Birthday Harry!

While, I haven't been very vocal on the blog this year, I dove head first into the other aspects of Harry Potter Month. I posted some instagram posts:

My illustrated Harry Potter edition shelf.
My original hardcover editions shelf.
Look at that Hogwarts Van Gogh!!
Handmade Harry Potter greeting cards.

As always, I made an HP craft and this year it's something I can gift others. The cards took some time (especially the lettering, I'm not very good at that), but I really like the way they turned out.

I spent some time trying to watch the Harry Potter movies, but I become distracted by all the books I was reading for the readathon addition to this year. I am usually a very slow reader, but something about this extra challenge gave me great incentive to read. -- Unfortunately, I didn't actually read any Harry Potter books this month, but I'm feeling that a nice long reread will come sometime before the end of this year.

I've been updating my original TBR post as I've been finishing books, but I'd like to make an official end of Harry Potter Month post.  So here's all the books I've finished this month!

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone:
  • Read the first book in a series
  • Read a book where someone finds out they're not who they thought they were
  • Read a book with a great friendship
    • Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (7/9/17)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets:
  • Read a book that features a funeral, a feast or a party
    • Geekerella by Ashley Poston (7/27/17)
  • Read a book with a ghost
  • Read a book with a terrifying monster

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban:
  • Read a book where someone is wrongfully accused or punished 
  • Read a book where a person hides who they are or wears a disguise 
    • Safekeeping by Jessamyn Hope (7/20/17)
  • Read a book with time-travel

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire:
  • Read a book with sports 
    • Hawkeye Vol. 1 by Matt Fraction (7/30/17)
    • Hawkeye Vol. 2 by Matt Fraction (7/30/17)
  • Read a book with dragons
  • Read a book with a contest of some kind
    • Fireworks by Katie Cotugno (7/20/17)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix:
  • Read a book with a character you hate
  • Read a book which features a rebellion
  • Read a book with a prophecy
    • The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan (7/13/17)
  • Read a book of 800+ pages

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince:
  • Read a book that you expect will make you cry
  • Read a book with an anti-villain (or someone who's doing the wrong things for what they feel are the right reasons)
    • Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (7/25/17)
  • Read a book with a romance element
    • Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers (7/16/17)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:
  • Read a series finale
    • The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson (7/28/17)
  • Read a book with an anti-hero
  • Read a book with unrequited love
  • Read a book of 600+ pages

Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them:
  • Read a book with mythical or supernatural creatures (vampires, werewolves, dragons, magical animals all valid!)
  • Read a book that's a spin off or prequel from something else
    • Stars Above by Marissa Meyer (7/29/17)
  • Read a book where the main character travels far from home
    • The Hitchhichker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (7/13/17)
I'd say 12 books in one month is the best reading track I've had in several years! So thank you Harry Potter Month for pushing me to read more. 

While I've been much quieter on the blog this year than I have in past years, I had a blast celebrating Harry Potter Month across my social media and in real life. Thank you once again for a great month!  I look forward to it next year. :D

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Alex!! I was much quieter for this year's HPMonth too since me and the boyfriend just bought a house and moved early July, things were...hectic! But I still celebrated in real life just like you did :) Hopefully next year we'll go back to our more active ways! Thanks again for taking part ♥

    ReplyDelete