Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Books Read in 2015


hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This year I've read a lot of great books!  Here are my top ten (in no particular order.)

1. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel - This is one of the best dystopian novels I have ever read.  The characters are fantastic and the timeline is a huge part of what makes this story work.

2. Trouble is a Friend of Mine by Stephanie Tromly - I read this one so quickly, it was altogether engaging and charming.  The characters are quirky and silly and sarcastic.  Oh it's so much fun and there's a good mystery too!

3. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - This book made me reminiscent of my years of reading and writing fan fiction. Also, the struggle with big change and new challenges Cath deals with hits home.


4. Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch - This fantasy book came at me by surprise.  I found it at the library and listened to it.  I gradually fell in love with Meira as she kicked ass but was still a complex character with complex emotions and motivations.  Oh it is so good!

5. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas - It's a Beauty and the Beast retelling which gave it points even before I opened the book. The story telling is so enchanting and I really liked the characters.

6. The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen - I love fantasy and this series is great.  It has a smart mouthed main character who likes to put himself in danger for the fun of it.  A kingdom is in trouble.  It's so good.


7. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein - I love historical fiction and this one is set during WWII in England/France.  It's a great and emotional read.

8. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell - This book is so engaging.  It's about love and life and people's circumstances in the world.  There characters are so great and they fall into this unlikely relationship that warms my heart.

9. Winter by Marissa Meyer - This is the conclusion to an amazing set of retellings, and it's incredible.  There's so much action and adventure and peril and imminent danger.


10. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson - This is a graphic novel about super villains and the divide between good and evil.  It's so good!

11. The Young Elites by Marie Lu - This book has some incredibly interesting characters and antiheroes.  It's just the beginning of a series too, which has me very excited about the sequels.



9 comments:

  1. Great list. I've only read a few of them, but many others are on my TBR, and we share CoTaR. :)
    MY TTT:Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Winter made my list this week, too, and Code Name Verity, Nimona and Station Eleven are all on my TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some wonderful books on this list. It was so hard for me to keep mine to only 10! Winter was awesome and I loved Code Name Verity. Snow Like Ashes was another fabulous book.
    Great list! Thanks for sharing.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great List!
    I REALLY want to read Trouble Is A Friend Of Mine.

    My TTT! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic list Alex^^ ACOTAR made my list too, it's such a memorable read, I'm still thinking about it all now XD I can't wait for A Court of Mist and Fury to come out!! Fangirl made my top list of last year, that book is just SO GOOD. I still need to read Snow Like Ashes, False Prince, Winter and Code Name Verity but I hope to get to all of those soon - Winter should be my very next read :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome list. I fell in love with Snow Like Ashes too! Such a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2016 is the year I will finally read the Lunar Chronicles! I have decided lol. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great picks! I just added a few of them to my TBR for 2016! Looks like you had a great year of reading. :)
    Laura
    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you enjoyed two Rainbow Rowell titles! I really want to read Nimona. Have you read/heard of the Lumberjanes by the same author? I'm asking for those for Christmas, too :)

    ReplyDelete