Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Things I Want to Quit


hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Very few bookish things have ever made me want to quit them.  I am here to try and count them for you, to keep myself accountable.  Once they're online, I can never go back! (This week is like a support group. Thanks for listening!)

1. I want to quit feeling like I need to finish a book.  If it doesn't capture my attention then it's probably not worth my time.  It might be a great book, but guess what people are different and they might have different tastes.  I'm going to try quitting this so I can free myself to read more books that I want to finish.

2. I want to quit feeling obligated to read books.  There are some books out there that I feel like I should have read ages ago and quite a few of them are classics.  I majored in English and I feel like people hear that and expect me to be well versed in classics and to love them.  That is not quite the case.  Yes, there are some that I love and some that I still want to read, but I should not feel guilty or obligated to read Atlas Shrugged or Don Quixote and The Picture of Dorian Grey if I don't have a desire to read them.

3. I want to quit feeling guilt about the amount of books I have on my shelf that I have not read.  I want to be able to go into a book store and feel at ease, knowing that I can buy a book or two and everything will be alright.  I like have so many books, but I don't like feeling like a failure for not having read all the books I own.

4. I want to quit feeling like the only person who hasn't read the Throne of Glass series.  This is a vow to the reader and to myself that I will read at least one book in the Throne of Glass series in 2015!  It sounds so good, guys.  So good!

5. I want to quit not finishing series.  I recently did two TTTs (here and here) about this because there were so many series.  It was kind of overwhelming.  That being said, I'm going to finish some of them.  There's no reason why I can't do it!  Reading away!  Maybe I'll make that a challenge for 2016.

6. I want to quit procrastinating on my own novels.  This one is totally on me.  I've written a book or two but I haven't gone back an edited any of them.  It's a scary process seeing as all my novels are products of NaNoWriMo, where it's quantity not quality that matter.  BUT this is totally within my power and I've got to jump on it now or I never will.

So there's six of my quits.

5 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! I'm terrible at procrastinating when it comes to my own writing, it's not good. I do agree you should stop feeling bad about all those other things, though. :) Maybe I'm doing something wrong because so many other book bloggers seem to be really good at finishing books even when they don't enjoy them, but I'm very much a DNFer. I don't DNF books much nowadays because I'm better at picking out books I know I'll enjoy, but if I don't like a book I'll just stop reading it, and it's very liberating! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read Throne of Glass and not the rest of the series... yet. I keep saying I will get to it and, maybe, someday I will.
    I also hate feeling obligated to read books. I have to work on just deciding that I don't have to read what everyone else is reading.
    Thanks for sharing your list!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not alone - I've not read Throne of Glass either! :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read Throne of Glass, either! Joining in on Top Ten Tuesday makes me feel like the only person who hasn't, though! It seems like every week, it makes it onto at least 10 to 15 of the lists I go through :p

    Number 2 is one that I need to add to my quit list! I hate feeling like because something is a classic, that I automatically should have read it. It's hard when you major in English, and a lot of your peers are so much more well-versed in classics than you are!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Number 1 is totally something I wish I could quit!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/top-ten-tuesday-25/

    ReplyDelete