Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Which Feature Musical Characters

hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

I love a good book about music and people who are musically inclined.  It doesn't matter if that's the central point of the story or just a beautiful side note.  I love imagining the music coming from the books.

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (The Sorting Hat) - This series features the sorting hat which sings a little song every year at the beginning of the school year.  Every year the hat sings a new song, as long as Hogwarts has been open the sorting hat never sang the same song twice.  I love it!

2. If I Stay by Gayle Forman (Mia and Adam) - We get two very different musicians in this book.  I absolutely love how passionate Mia is about her cello and I love how devoted Adam is to his guitar and his band.  The power of music and how it moves people is running through this novel.

3. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (Park) - While Park isn't in the traditional sense musically gifted, he does has a passion for music that extents to knowing what people (Eleanor) will like before they know it.  Someone who devotes that much time to music surely deserves a spot on this list.




4. Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline (Dutchy) - How Dutchy found his way to playing the piano and loving it is amazing.  I love that when life wasn't great he had something he loved to turn to.  I can just imagine how great a piano player he must be.

5. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (Simon) - Simon is in a band, which I immediately love.  I'm not sure how good they actually are but he's in a band nonetheless.  It's probably one of my favorite things about Simon.

6. Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Grover) - This satyr has a set of pipes that are supposed to lull just about anyone.  While it's clear that Grover isn't the most talented satyr, it's still great that he has this ability.  It's hilarious on more than one occasion and has served him well.


7. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan (Tiny Cooper) - Tiny Cooper may not play any instruments but he wrote an entire musical about his life and man, oh man, it is amazing!

8. Guitar Notes by Mary Amato (Tripp and Lyla) - This is another one of those cello and guitar stories, but it doesn't make it any less unique.  I love that their passion for music bonds them together and challenges each other.


9. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (The dwarves) - I think most of the races in Middle Earth are musically inclined but I love that the dwarves have epic poems and songs that tell their history.  It's a beautiful way to record the past.

10. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Hans Hubermann) - He has an accordion that he loves to play and it's not a typical instrument.  I love it.  He plays it because he enjoys it, but he also plays it to calm others down in tense and terrifying moments.  I love that he uses his gift to help others!

3 comments:

  1. Adam from If I stay is on my list too!
    here's my TTT

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet topic^^ Harry Potter always makes my TTT list I think. It's a problem. Love Percy Jackson but I still need to read Eleanor & Park. I love music and books combined too and it's always fun to 'hear' songs from fictional lands LOL GREAT list!

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic idea! I wouldn't have even considered the Sorting Hat. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete