Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Son

by Lois Lowry
Published:
Pages: 393

Claire was just doing her job.  She was a Vessel; she carried the Product at age fourteen.  She didn't know that she'd become attached, that she would love and long for her son once he was born.  When they took him away, it became her mission to find him.  She came from a community where she was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible.  Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means sacrificing what she holds dear.

This book is the answer to the rest of the sort of connected series.  It brings back old, well loved characters from the other books and gives you new exciting and lovable one to attach yourselves to.  I found myself smiling every time one of my old favorites came back into this story.  It was as if I were a proud parent watching them grow and prosper.  Baby Gabe has reached his teenaged years and become a genuine young man.

Claire is one of Lois Lowry's strongest characters in this series.  Each of the characters have a driving force that propels them, but Claire's is one that kept me reading late into the night.  I couldn't put this book down.  In fact, when the book was over, I wanted more.  I wanted to see character interactions when everything was said and done.  That being said, I love how it ended.  I love that it wasn't quite an ending but it felt finite.  Even though we see an ending, it is clear that the story is just beginning for some of the characters. 

Lois Lowry took her time creating this world and these characters and this was definitely the conclusion I wished for these much loved characters.  I give Lowry a grand well done.

Stars 4/5

Praise:

"Son is a tender conclusion to this memorable story, and definitely the best of the books in this sequence since The Giver itself."
     -- School Library Journal

"Written with powerful, moiving simplicity, Claire's story stands on its own, but as the final volume in this iconic quartet, it holistically reunites characters, reprises provocative socio-political themes, and offers a transcending message of tolerance and hope."
     --Kirkus Review

"Lowry is one of those rare writers who can craft stories as meaningful as they are enticing."
     --Booklist, stared review

No comments:

Post a Comment