Friday, June 20, 2014

Allegiant

 by Veronica Roth
Published: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 526

In this conclusion, Tris and Tobias discover the hazy and disturbing truth about their home and the factions that once defined them.  They go beyond the fence in hopes of a more peaceful life without the deceit and violence.  What the find isn't exactly what they are looking for.  Tris finds herself thrown into another political nightmare trying to decide whom to trust.  The horrify truth that she and Tobias uncover about the outside world, leads them to consider human complexity and the power of love and sacrifice as they had never before.

Okay, so my irritation with the last book is alleviated.  All of my concern for the lack of explanation in Insurgent is addressed in Allegiant.  (If you recall, I was particularly irritated that Tris never thought about anything beyond Chicago.)  We get that explanation and much more.  I still feel like there are some unanswered questions, but I'm much more satisfied than I ever thought I'd be with this book.

That being said, I still have a huge problem with this book.  When someone writes a book, I feel like they enter a contract with the reader to tell their story as honestly as possible - that includes consistency.  When I started reading and saw that we got Tobias' point of view in this book, I was irritated.  I spent the first two books of this trilogy hearing only Tris' point of view and switching it up constantly confused and annoyed me.  Changing the format is one of my biggest pet peeves in a book.  I realize that it was necessary, I get it but when I was constantly forgetting who's head I was in.  They seemed too similar to be separate people's perspectives.  I was constantly being pulled out of the story.

On a brighter note, I'm not sure why so many people hate the ending of this book.  I'm okay with it.  It was the only way it could have ended, as far as I'm concerned.  It's not wonderful, but it is true. Veronica Roth ended this series in no other way possible and has done certain justice to the trilogy.

Stars: 3/5 

Praise:

"Roth's plotting is...intelligent and complex.  Dangers, suspicion, and tension lurk around every corner, and the chemistry between Tris and Tobias remains heart-poundingly real.  This final installment will capture and hold attention until the divisive final battle has been waged."
     --Publishers Weekly

"A surprise ending that is gutsier and much less predictable than the rest of the series would lead one to expect."
     --Los Angeles Times

" The tragic conclusion, although shocking, is thematically consistent; the bittersweet epilogue offers a poignant hope."
     --Kirkus Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment