Thursday, June 6, 2013

How To Be Popular

by Meg Cabot
published: Harpertempest/ HarperCollins
pages: 288

Steph Landry made one mistake in sixth grade that has followed her into unpopularity for five years.  The entire town has a saying about "pulling a Steph", coined by the queen of the popular crowd.  When Steph finds a book on popularity, she decides that this book is her best chance to overcome her unpopularity.  How well will this book work, and will there be any repercussions?

Meg Cabot was one of my favorite authors in middle school.  I read so many of her books. Each book has a memorable character that could have been my friend.  Again, she creates an endearing character with ideas of her own, whether or not they are ridiculous.

I remember a time where I thought it was very important to be popular, or at the very least well liked.  However, I never schemed to make popularity a reality.  This is something about the book that I thought was pretty entertaining.  It takes that dream so many people have and creates a step by step process to which popularity can be achieved, something I know I would have killed for in middle school.  (I'm sure others would have too.)  It also shows how friends react to the idea of changing identity, and the effects obsession can have on someone and the people around them.

It was fun to go back and read another Meg Cabot book.  While I had a good time reading it, I will say that had I read this book when I bought it (in 8th or 9th grade) I would have enjoyed it much more than I do now.  Despite that, I think this book is entertaining and clever. Good for anyone looking for a fun, light read.

Stars: 3/5

Praise:

"Despite featuring upperclassmen, Steph's aboveboard actions and mostly pure thoughts make this a fun and light text suitable for a younger audience wanting to read about older teens."
     --Kirkus Review

"This endearingly funny book looks at the pain of feeling unpopular."
     --VOYA

No comments:

Post a Comment