Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Hope People Still Read


 

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Top Ten Books Written In The Past 10 Years That I Hope People Are Still Reading In 30 Years

This was particularly difficult and I'm not entirely sure why.  I kept thinking of really good books but they were all written in the 90s.  I might be stuck a decade back in my mind...

1. The Harry Potter Series.  J.K. Rowling. Most of them were written in the past ten years, so I'm cheating a little.  I have a solid conviction that these books will be read for generations to come.  As long as the generation that grew up with Harry continues to pass it on to their children, I have no doubt that these books will live on forever.

2.  The Secret Life of the Bees.  Sue Monk Kidd.  This story is so poignant and graceful that it deserves to continue to be read.  It handles heavy subjects very tenderly without taking anything away from them.

3. The Book Thief.  Markus Zusak.  I can't explain why I like this book so much and why I think everyone should read this book.  I just have no words to describe it.

4. Speak.  Laurie Halse Anderson.  This woman can write about anything and make it enthralling.  That being said, this book tackles a heavy subject in a unique and interesting manner that gives teens more understanding. 

5. The Fault In Our Stars. John Green.  Like many of the other books on this list, it tackles a hard topic eloquently. Also, it's John Green.

6. The Help. Kathryn Stockett.  It is  beautiful book. We must remember the past but continue to the future. 

7. All American Girl.  Meg Cabot.  This book made me consciously decide to be a writer.  Need I say more?

8. The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Brain Selznick.  This book beautiful incoporates art into a story and it ends up that the pictures tell so much more than the words.  It is a beautiful representation of how the creative arts work together to bring a masterpiece. 

9. The Hunger Games.  Suzanne Collins.  This is just a great series.  I really enjoyed reading them and I know I will pick them back up in the future. 

10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  Steven Chbosky.  I'm cheating I don't care.  This book should be read by every high school student.  It is wonderfully and beautifully written and has it's own charm.  I love this book.

3 comments:

  1. I have The Hunger Games on my list, too. I agree with The Book Thief, too. A lt of YA Lit is hard to imagine kids wanting to read in 30 years,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had The Book Thief on my list too. Speak and Hugo are great choices! Here is my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-10k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm listening to both The Help and The Fault in Our Stars on audio at the moment. Such good writing!

    ReplyDelete