Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Quotes



Here are my top ten quotes: (I tried not to repeat Rowling, but didn't quite make it. Oh well.)

"That's the thing about pain," Augustus said, and then glanced back at me. "It demands to be felt."    
    - John Green, The Fault In Our Stars

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
    - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

"And he discovered, finally, the source of the honey-sweet sound.  The sound was music." 
    - Kate DiCamillo, Tale of Despereaux

"A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship."
    - Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

"You don't forget the face of the person who was your last hope."
    - Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

"What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though."
    - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

 "Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead."
     - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

 "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
      - Maurice Sendak, Where the Wild Things Are 

"Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us."
       - Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
       - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

4 comments:

  1. I love the Half-Blood Prince quote and The Hunger Games quote is so very powerful.

    Sirius pretty much sums himself up when he gives that quote in the Goblet of Fire. He's talking about how Crouch treats his house elf...and yet Sirius is so horrible to Kreacher.

    I really need to get around to reading TFioS. Or rather, listening it on audio, since that is how I have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost chose that same quote from The Hunger Games, but I went with a Haymitch quote instead :)
    I have so many quotes from TFiOS, but the book is with my sister in Dallas! This post made me realize I need a quote notebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quote books are wonderful, I've been keeping them for several years now. They come in handy, especially for one that enjoys quotes. :)

      Delete